If you are an EU/EFTA resident, and hold a valid driving licence in your country, there is no need to change it when coming to Poland, even if you stay here for more than 185 days.
If so, a national driving licence will be enough for a stay in Poland which doesn’t exceed 6 months. If not, you may need an international one.
After spending 185 days in Poland, you need to change your national driving licence for a Polish one.
Changing your licence
Where to go?
Citizens’ Affairs Department:
G. Zapolskiej 4, S1, stands 1-3
pl. Nowy Targ 1-8, stand 8
al. M. Kromera 44, stand 11
Here you can find their phone numbers and opening hours: […]
- application form (you can find it here […]
- one photo (distinct, in color, taken within the last 6 months, with full-face view directly facing the camera, presenting the person without headgear or glasses with dark lenses, size: 3,5 cm x 4,5 cm) one photo (distinct, in color, taken within the last 6 months, with full-face view directly facing the camera, presenting the person without headgear or glasses with dark lenses, size: 3,5 cm x 4,5 cm)
- proof of payment (you can do it via bank transfer or directly in the office)
- copy of a valid residence card or visa
- a copy of a foreign drivers licence plus a Polish translation of it prepared or confirmed by a certified translator or a consul of Poland
- a medical certificate issued by a doctor entitled to examine drivers (it concerns those who apply for a drivers license for the first time and those whose drivers license is about to expire)
The service fee is 100,50 PLN and it may take up to 30 days to prepare your new drivers licence.
If you don’t hold any drivers licence, you will need to take driving lessons, pass an exam and later apply for the document. Remember that a residence permit is needed and it must have already been valid for at least 185 days at the time of applying for driving lessons.
The whole course takes up to three months. On completion of the course, you will have to pass a theoretical and practical test. The prices vary depending on the driving school you choose.